View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
LBrain

Glad you are getting back to not drinking ActualA. 3 days is a good start and getting involved helps.
May I suggest you read the "Crash Course" of rational recovery or AVRT, whichever one it is. I did that. I didn't go any further than that. I don't read their literature or get involved with all that if offered. One of the things they say is to stay away from 'recovery groups'. The thought there is that you become dependent on them and that are taught if you don't continue 100% with a 'program' you are more likely to relapse.

As I said, I never got to deep into it. But just understanding what the "crash course" tries to convey and embracing that idea can be liberating.
It helps to understand and how to commit to never drinking again.

That said, use all available resources to help you and guide you as necessary. If it helps, then use it.

One of the first steps regardless of which path you choose on your sobriety journey is acceptance. Doing the crash course helps very many in that area. It is a kind of "aha" moment. It also introduces the AV concept. Any thought of drinking whether it be an event or just a habitual reliance on drinking is nothing more than your addictive voice trying to get the drink it needs. There are many metaphors used, but the bottom line is that it is a battle within your brain. Your reasonable thoughts vs your addictive voice (thoughts). Learn to recognize it for what it is. You can be stronger than your AV. It's only a thought and nothing more. Don't listen to it, it only cares about one thing.

I know of many who use AVRT and still go to meetings. Get the most help you can.