View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
WhoDey

I've had two years to think about it, so one might expect that I would have something awesome to say today. As it is, the only thing I can share ... and, in truth, it is pretty awesome ... is that I'm two years sober today.

There was some recent conversation about having difficulty letting people know in social situations that we don't drink. I can honestly say that isn't an issue for me. It might be because I forced myself to be upfront and honest about my situation from Day 1. I never made up excuses for not drinking, although I fully understand why someone might feel the need to do so. Whatever it takes to remain sober is what a person needs to do.

I feel good when I tell people I don't drink. I'm proud of it. I am so much healthier ... physically, mentally, and spiritually ... now than I was two years ago.

That's it. Two years today. I will let my wife know at dinner that today's a big day ... an anniversary I didn't miss!

All of you have a special place in my heart as I wouldn't be sober if not for your support the last two years. When I felt alone, you let me know that I wasn't. When I felt weak, you reminded me that we were strong. You showed me grace at every turn.

I learned yesterday that someone in my work place lost a son to a heroin overdose last week. 34 years old. Married. Four kids.

I know life isn't perfect Tobers, but never forget the wilderness through which we wandered.

Have a great day.