View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Marissa2212

Boyfriends journey towards recovery

Let me start with some background info.. My boyfriend is 25, I am 22 and I have a 3 year old daughter (he is not her father). We are 100% in love and we're so happy. When we met he was clean from heroin and actually had just returned from his 2nd stay at a rehab (I didnt know about the rehab or drugs when we met). He relapsed 2 months ago IV'ing heroin daily and ever since then he has lost EVERYTHING. He lost his job, his car, all his $, his sober friends ditched him, he started stealing from his parents home and he also stole $ from me.

His family and I are very close and we decided to no longer provide him with $, rides, or even a place to live. It was extremely hard but I had a child to protect and I couldnt afford for him to take anything else from my home or bank account. He was homeless for 2 weeks when he violated probation by failing a random drug test. He expressed how badly he wanted his life back, he missed my daughter and I, he missed his job, he was becoming so depressed, miserable and extremely thin.

Well 8 days ago he was arrested for the probation violation (his 2nd offense). He detoxed from heroin in jail and was miserable and cried everyday to us. He now is feeling better and has been moved from the medical pod to general population. He has asked for me to bring him books on addiction and he says he cant wait to be transfered to rehab (thats the plan) so he can get better for himself and for his family/me. He seems to be taking this very seriously and I am so proud of him.

I cant express how terrible this whole expierence has been, watching someone you love slowly destroy themselves, seeing them lose their passions and goals and the constant worry that they will OD was ALWAYS running through my mind. This has taught me to love without expectations and give beyond reason, some people sincerely need your love and support.

As long as you believe someone is worth the "hassle" be strong and be there for them. In the same breath I want to say YOU are always FIRST priority, your happiness, safety and well being should always come FIRST. Do NOT let their addiction consume you negatively. You have no obligation to try to make someone better and it is in no way your fault if they never seek help. I hope someone finds strength in our journey. We have a long way to go but I have positive vibes about this. <3