View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
joeconrad

Dee74, you're probably right. I likely haven't been as skilled at hiding my excessive drinking as I think I have. I suppose that's a common characteristic of problem drinkers, right? We think we're keeping things under control and hiding our problem, but the people around us aren't fooled.

I've only really been really living with my girlfriend for a month or so now. We bought a house together back in February of this year, but due to remodeling and other circumstances I've continued to live at my other house a mile way. That house has been my drinking house. I'd tell my girlfriend that I was going to game or watch sports with friends when in fact I would go to my house and hit the bottle(s).

Looking at my expenses for the past several years, I can see that my liquor consumption began to drastically increase in mid-2011 after my ex-wife and I broke up (again) after a 3 year reconciliation (2008 to 2011) following a 2006 divorce. It's crazy to think that I've been drinking myself sick for more than 4 years now. And even before 2011 I know I was exhibiting symptoms such as hiding bottles, drinking alone, etc. Back then my tolerance was pretty normal so I wasn't polishing off nearly as much on a nightly basis.

Littlefish, you make a very valid point. I should tell my girlfriend. She has asked me about my drinking a handful of times over the last couple of years, and I lied a couple of times and admitted that I needed to cut back another time. I think I'll make it 30 days sober and then tell her that I need to continue with a serious and lasting lifestyle change. I'd rather prove to myself I can live sober before telling her. We have a trip to Italy planned for February, and she's mentioned several times all the great wine we're going to drink. Ugh.