View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 10:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dasautobatgirl

inpatient or on my own?

Hi, it's been awhile since I have posted; visited. So much has happened. But, for now I wanted to ask advice about options for vicodin detox. I am an alcoholic, in recovery, but have been on medically prescribed vicodin for almost 2 years for a herniated disc. While taking vicodin for the pain, along with icing my back daily, I went through a series of lumbar epidural injections (4 total over ~2 years), physical therapy, and other measures of treatment. Finally, I decided to look into surgery, a microdisectomy of the herniated disc. Today I had an appointment with a neuro surgeon for a second opinion, only to be told surgery isn't a viable option for my specific disc injury; unnecessary. In fact, instead I was very patiently and with scientific explanation that the vicodin I've been taking for ~2 years is more likely the culprit of the majority of my pain, set-back, quality of life, etc.
I started on 5/325 mg , then increased to 10/325 mg about 6 months ago. I have increased my use of vicodin to ~5 doses daily. Now, this isn't a "heavy" addiction in the, if you will, opiate addiction spectrum. However, it's enough that I will need to wean/taper off in order to stop taking the vicodin, which I do want to do. I have faith that this neuro surgeon could very well have the ultimate answer to my pain and health issues.
There is a behavioral unit/detox nearby that I have been to twice in the past for alcohol withdrawal and have found the place to be very effective and comfortable.
On the flip side, I will, if even for a short of stay, be away from my husband and children, the internet (gasp!) and comforts of home for a physical addiction that can very well be treated outpatient.
I've gone on with my questions and debacle long enough for a simple post.
For those of you who may remember me from the recent past, I want to add that my, anyone's worst nightmare, came to fruition last Septemeber 10, 2014. My oldest daughter, who had previously suffered a vehicle related injury at age 12, was killed in a car accident. She was driving. Not drinking, she didn't drink. She was going to the mall with a friend after school.
I could go on and on, but I will stop here and hope for some advice and feedback about the vicodin issue.
thank you