View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
gleefan

Amp - Changing your inner monologue sounds like a significant step forward. I've found the key to sobriety for me lies in recognizing my toxic patterns, then taking steps to change them.

That second part, actually taking action, is hard for me! I tend to wait for good things to happen. Finally one day someone told me that change won't happen simply by wishing for it.

He was right. I needed to take action. Problem was, in all my life I never had any framework for taking action in a positive direction, one where I'd be patient and kind to myself and to others. That's where AA has been beneficial for me.

I'm working on my 4th step right now, taking an inventory of my positive and negative traits. It's really interesting to do this with the kind of self compassion that Amp found on his drive to work today -- rather than with that driven, type A, perfectionistic, all or nothing voice. Well I'm working on changing the voice, anyway. Like most areas of my life, it's a work in progress! Amp, do share your tips with us!