Thread: On My Way #2
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Thank goodness that your cold may be behind you, GC.

I don't find it odd at all that you talk about running and exercise; there is so much more to recovery than simply not drinking.
Thanks for the good thoughts about my cold, which I hope I didn't come across as whining about. Also thanks for the validation that being sober is so much more expansive than just not drinking and that it's okay to write about it here. We're people right? And I refuse to be defined by sobriety because I am so much more than that, as are others on this site.

I'm first and foremost dedicated to my wife, children, and other family members. I'm a successful business owner and while I can be self deprecating those are the two subjects that I will not tolerate anyone mocking. Do not make fun of my family or my business. I, however, am on the table and will laugh along with you and likely add something to further the fun.

Many of my friends are the same, but what distinguishes me from most of them is the physical activity. Honestly, it's almost always the first question I'm asked when meeting someone. Not so much with lifting because I'm not a big guy and also because people who don't lift can't relate to what moving a certain amount of weight means unless it's truly big numbers, but definitely with cycling and running. "When's your next race? What are you training for now?" type stuff. Few know what squatting 1.5 times body weight 10 times means, but everyone knows that running 26.2 miles or cycling 100 miles is a long way. Other stuff like my passion for photography, reading, and reading I rarely mention because I don't see them being relevant to being sober.

Oooops, another long winded post.

My plans for the evening have not changed and in the last hour I've spoken with both of my kids. Yay!

Assuming I don't have a cold relapse I'll be a the gym tomorrow morning doing an upper body workout because I'm still giving consideration to the marathon. Yeah, I'm strong willed, but as each hour passes I'm getting closer to the making a decision to not run.

Beyond my wife, I've spoken to my doctor and friends who are endurance athletes and everyone has been of the mind that I should not run because the respiratory issues are too great. As I wrote yesterday, I went against all that advice a couple of years ago for a special race, but this is not of that caliber and the stakes are much higher if I do screw up my breathing.

Thanks for reading.