Thread: On My Way #2
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  
Gonnachange

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I am sorry that your cold has not improved, GC.

If a five mile walk was harder than it should have been, I am leaning towards agreeing with your wife about the marathon; it's a rigorous endeavor even in good health.

Glad that you enjoyed the birthday dinner!
SL, it's not only perplexing because up until recently I very rarely got sick, but the few times I did I was back to normal in a shorter time frame than I am going through now.

Thanks about the dinner.

Update

I haven't pulled the trigger on cancellation yet, but the odds of me doing so are high. It's like I'm living someone else's life, but we all have to go through firsts at some point. I've run the coldest Philadelphia Marathon on record; a Marine Corp Marathon that someone I met told me was the coldest he ever ran and he had participated in over 30 over them; I've run the hottest NJ Marathon on record as well as the hottest Burlington, VT (technically Key Bank Vermont City Marathon) on record. A few years ago my wife and I ran a half marathon in Connecticut and the conditions were so hot that all area medical response were overwhelmed. No more ambulances to take people to local hospitals and the triage area at the race was well over capacity, that sort of stuff. The police drove the course to inform us and in no uncertain terms told us to stop running because should we have a physical event there would be nobody properly trained who could assist us in a timely manner. We kept running. Lastly, days before the race two years ago I was advised by my general practitioner and physical therapist to not run the NYC Marathon because I would absolutely reinjure a training injury; that's a special race and I went against professional advice. They were right; I started hurting around mile 5, but stuck with it for another 21 miles and finished. It took me a couple of months to recover, but it was worth it.

My point of the above is that, while not happy, I'm willing to subject myself to very uncomfortable conditions in order to once again feel the drug of crossing the finish line and to bow out before the race even starts is mind boggling to me. Additionally, while I don't want to future trip, it's hard for me to not give some thought to the fact that that my last big race is behind me and that's bumming me out.

Since this is SR, I will also emphatically state that I even I do cancel I will not drink over this. Perspective. I'm 57 and even being able to entertain the concept of running 26.2 miles is something that very few of the people I know can do so while I may have to make some personal adjustments I have nothing to truly complain about.

To all who read, thank you.