View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
topspin

Originally Posted by freein14 View Post
I love the thought of you, Tops, doing what you love. Perhaps we should all start doing more of what brings us joy whether it makes money or not.
Freein,
I should've said "meager living" ....instead of "decent living"
..... Drinking took all that away. My last commission was
for a local historic black church who needed more stained glass for their addition. I had done the original windows in the sanctuary years before, so I felt morally obligated. That was 11 years ago.
Commissioned windows for these local black churches was more of an honor than anything else. This place is swarming with millionaire retirees in gated communities, but the black population, ...the " locals " ( before the bridge was built in 56 ) ...they are just the opposite. Mostly poor.

Now I work this straight job nights at a time share resort. The upside is the guests are working class . Not sure I could stomach working at some resort like the local Westin. My clients were always pleasant,...many times wonderful people. Some, not so much, but I never thought about it one way or the other since they had the means to keep me working as much as I could.
As usual I kind of overdid it on that front for years,....would work 14-16 hour days for 100 days straight and take a half day off,....madness huh ?
Looking back , I could never have kept that kind of schedule without a passion for the work,....passion for the whole process.

Once the pain ( from the gluten , or wheat intolerence ) got to me with ever increasing boozing,.....I just walked away from it all in 2004. Dark days .

Just to clarify ,...I didn't want to give the impression of work being all hunky doory down here !?! lol

...except the freedom from booze !!! That's major hunky doory !

And figuring out not long ago I had an incredible intolerance to wheat ,..... for f,....
goodness sake.

Mariah, ....I'm curious along with Freein,..... them boyz listenin' ta their momma ?