View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

Originally Posted by Rar View Post
Hi Frick: This was the wasp update from Monday. We were killing at least 100 wasps a day until the exterminator came. Update: The bug guy just left. He identified the wasps as yellow jackets and estimated the nest to be approximately 4 feet throughout a section of the wall. He said there were likely thousands of them and left untreated, would get worse. He drilled holes in the wall to spray and apply powder. The bug tech isn't anticipating having to come back, but said he would if we saw any more wasps after 24 hours. We found 9 wasps yesterday and 3 today. I think I will call the bug guy again tomorrow. I don't want to be seeing any wasps.
YIKES!
I'd have to move.
Reminds me when my dog, and later, one of my boys got stung in the front yard. I searched for and found a hive in one of the trees. Now I'm a huge ass wimp when it comes to bees. I have absolutely NO interest in getting stung. Been there, don't plan on getting stung again.

So I waited until night time. I went out with a flash light with a red lens on it (I read that it wouldn't wake them up) and a can of spray to kill them.

When I approached the hive, I noticed one bee was keeping guard. It kept walking around the entire hive. Lap after lap...making sure all was right. I didn't like the idea that this bee could set off the panic button, but I went ahead and drowned the hive and tried aiming the spray up into the hole. I then ran for my life. I probably looked like an idiot, but I didn't get stung.

The next day, the bees were repairing the damage. They had cut away much of the poisoned exterior. Actually, I saw a piece of it fall on the ground as I was walking up. They had just cut it loose. A whole bunch of bees working hard trying to restore it and a bunch flying around it.

NO WAY was I going to spray them again. I figured they'd be ready to kill if I tried that again. So I called the bug man.

He said they were some exotic bee. Relatively hard to find in my state. They looked a little like yellow jackets, but more bad ass. I can't recall the name he used, but I did look them up and he was right.

Anyway...he said it's a good thing I didn't **** them off too much, because they are extremely protective of their hive and will attack in a group. He smoked them, then cut the branch with the hive and took the whole thing away in a bag.

I was glad that my dog and my son only got stung once. If they were too close to the hive, they may have been swarmed.