View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
BrighterDayz

Phoebe nailed it, busy here. Conquest, you will know it's the right dress when you see it. I am liking your plans very much and I hope you stay grounded.

Feel better Venus and Dee! Phoebe, I like to scope the menu first when possible-it takes me forever to decide, LOL. Arbor, life has gone in a different direction for you now that your family is the center. Mark, I never, ever, shower at the gym, now I know why! Briar, can you repost your chili recipe? I made the world's easiest french onion soup this weekend.

6 cups thinly sliced yellow onion
1/4 c. olive oil
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon crushed rosemary
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 cup very finely sliced celery
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dry)
salt and pepper
3 quarts vegetable broth (or beef broth)--you can add white wine -- beer, vermouth, brandy, or liquid of choice.
1 thin slices toast or croutons
1 thin slices swiss cheese
Garnish: Sliced green onions or
additional finely minced parsley

The night before you'd like to have your soup, place all ingredients except broth, toast, cheese, and garnish in a 4.5
quart crock pot on "low". Stir the onions to mix seasoning and oil. Leave onions to caramelize overnight--the next morning,
you'll find that they've reduced significantly in volume, and that they're nicely caramelized.

Add broth, and simmer for several more hours on "low". When the broth is heated, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper,
ladle into bowls, top with toast slices or croutons, and Swiss cheese. Broil for a minute or so, to melt cheese.

After the overnight cook on low, the carmelized onions were amazing-took all the work out of that chore. I love soup, but this is the only one DH likes, so he is happy. We are having more in a few minutes, then family haircuts, my sister too. My hairdresser comes to me. Gotta love that.