View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Congrats to the 90 days crew!!

I volunteered with kids this weekend. That was pretty cool. I haven't done anything purely for others in a while. I do various kinds of helpful stuff, but usually only things that I find interesting or learn directly from. This was standing outside in the cold manning a booth with some kids from my org's youth group, so, not so fun. But they had a blast and I felt good about it.

I haven't been to AA much these past two weeks because of work conflicts, so I went to an evening meeting last night. The one I ended up at was a lot more.... I don't know exactly how to phrase it. Court-ordered? Cold basement with plastic over a window. I got catcalled repeatedly when I entered by a long back row of men who talked on and off through the speaker. No one said anything to them either. It was kind of a surprise because although the neighborhood wasn't fancy, it wasn't super rough either.

I mentioned on Upward's thread in Newcomer's that I've been feeling kind of distant from people lately. The combo of a new city and early sobriety has me kind of floating through my social interactions without much feeling of connection. It was rough to have a bad experience when I was looking for the safe haven of other people in recovery. I know there's no way around it, you can't exactly label a meeting "Open Speaker Discussion, Rowdy & Aggressive". But if that'd been the first meeting I went to, I would never have tried again!

Anyway, worked this morning and may be shifting to a schedule that will free up my mornings for the meeting I like, so I'm feeling better.