View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 373 (permalink)  
gleefan

Welcome Crete!

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
My coping skills I used to have were in survival mode. I learned those techniques from a bad childhood and they hung around into early adulthood and stuck around due to my addiction and not growing up emotionally due to the addiction.
Me too KoC. I think this may be many people in recovery's experience.

In past attempts to get sober, I tended to minimize my problems because I found there were people so much worse off than I was; all that did was send me back to drinking. With regard to other people's problems, I learned the concept called The 3 C's: I didn't Cause it, I can't Control it, and I can't Cure it. Developing my own skills for positive, constructive, responsible living is my priority! I can share it with others, then accept their choices whether or not to listen to my suggestions.

Amp - One time at a meeting, one of the newer people with just a bit more sober time than me was sharing how well his life was going. An old timer said that's great, then reminded him "This too will pass." Fact is, life has its ups and downs. It's important to keep working on recovery, even when things seem to be going smoothly - whether that's working on the issues underlying your alcoholism or sharing your experiences with others.

Thanks for letting me blah blah here! Is the only space I've found where people are talking about recovery at a higher level.