View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Originally Posted by KeyofC View Post
Frick, I had to learn the same thing. I had to make myself pause before I acted or reacted. I am so impulsive that it's hard for me to do, but since I've learned to utilize this it has helped me a great deal! Just engaging from the hip was the old way I used to deal with things when I was the addict. Learning a new way I am learning this is so much better and gives me so much more peace. And yes, a lot of it I can just ignore.
Thanks Key. When I was sober for a couple of years I really had some of this behavior more programmed....it takes practice and constant mindfulness. I'm sure it will take years for this to become second nature. I know this now. I have to always question my thinking. What do they say? My best thinking got me into addictive behavior....

I read an article that outlined an experiment with addicts and non addicts. Long story short, after showing the addicted people different facial images (expressionless faces, angry faces...different emotions) the addicts very frequently misinterpreted the images, far more than the non addicted group. I thought that was interesting. I think for me I take pretty much everything personally. I don't mean to of course, but I essentially do. Pretty distorted (and self centered) lense to view the world through....