View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by Mark1014 View Post
Good morning gang......Parmesan roasted potatoes.....gotta check that out.

Yesterday morning started off great......until I grabbed my phone as I headed out to the gym. My son is out of town with friends for a college football game and I had received a text from him just after midnight that started this way.....'Dad, I've got to be honest, I'm a little drunk.......'. He went on to address an ongoing issue in his life that I'm trying to come to terms with and thanking me for support even though we're not on the same page. Anyway, I spent yesterday in a guilt ridden funk mentally calling myself things I won't share. I'm making a huge effort to shake it off today hence this post.

Most 20 year olds drink right? I sure as hell did, but I mean it is normal for young adults to drink. I had a talk with him this summer about my decision to quit drinking. I didn't go into much detail beyond saying that it had become unhealthy for me and that given our strong family history of alcoholism I thought it best to completely abstain. He's not back yet, but as I've processed this whole thing I've decided not to blow up about it. My responding text was to tell him I love him and to not get on the roads. I think I'll wait for an appropriate time to just reinforce what I said this summer about our family tendency and the associated early warning signs. Hold on loosely? Am I dropping the ball here? Outside perspective would help.
I think that your response to your son's text was a loving and understanding one, Mark. As a bonus, you now have time to formulate a fully considered response/discussion.