View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
LBrain

an interesting observation about time JR, when we were 'little' the summer break from school seemed like 'forever'. Then as we get older or have kids of our own, it seems so short. There is actually a "scientific" explanation for that - or a psychological one if you will. Instead of trying to explain it, I'll give an analogy - I like analogies. To a person who earns 50,000 a year, 1000 dollars is a lot of money, To a person who earns 10,000,000 a year, 1000 dollars is NOT a lot of money. Same with time, the more time we have the more is seems compressed, or 'goes by' more quickly.

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with health issues again Zero. Stay with your mind and get through this.

Now, I have a suggestion for you. There is a group here that has a meeting on Saturday morning. An 11th step meeting.

Step 11 : Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

The meeting starts off with ten minutes of silent meditation, then goes into discussion. There is no 'praying' except the usual closing Lord's Prayer. But the discussion is geared toward meditation, etc.

Maybe you could use that angle and start an 11th step meeting to teach people how to meditate. It wouldn't be straying from the AA philosophy of using meditation to improve your conscious contact with "your" higher power. Meditation is your higher power. I think you would be able to structure it to fit your desires to pass along what works for you. And you could keep it totally secular.

After a few introductory 'meetings' you can lengthen the meditation time to take up most of the 'meeting' after your group has a grasp on the concept. And as new people joined the group you could counsel them individually or as a smaller group to bring them up to speed. I think this would grow as people spread the word.

Just start off with reading the 11th step to open every session then tailor it to your own "program" of meditation. Problem solved. And take a Big Book with you. Gotta have the book or it doesn't count...

As for the mando and me... I've decided to focus more on chord progressions and changes - programming my hands - instead of trying to just learn songs.
Rhythm and keeping time are an integral piece of this instrument's overall function as well as sounding cool when it's your turn. So I'm going to go through some tunes picking but focus more on chording for a while. My fingers are having a hard time getting into those unnatural configurations.
But I realize now that chords I tried months ago seem natural and effortless now. PRACTICE!
Another cool day and cloudy. Perfect for starting new grass. And try to catch the Eagles football game - they're stinkin up the joint.

How's it going Vet? Staying on track?