View Single Post
Old 09-26-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  
Mark1014

The forts of my youth involved the dining chairs too Briar.....and a bowl of fruit loops or captain crunch. What great memories y'all are making with your kids. It's so important, and so many opportunities are there when drinking isn't our priority.

So a happy Saturday morning to the gang. No big plan here....apple picking sounds fun, but no orchards nearby. I quite like this whole harvest time of year....I'm giving some thought to making some raised bed areas in the back yard for a bit of gardening.....a bit of research yet to be done on that.

A bit of reminiscing takes my mind far and away to the early 70s. I come from a rural agricultural background and the arrival of cooler weather was referred to as hog killin' weather. My dad's mom followed that tradition and I remember 'helping' her in the smoke house where the pork would hang to cure. It smelled so good, but was a little scary with the eyes burning a bit and seeing those carcasses hanging. I'm sure I was in the way, but I was convinced by her that she couldn't possibly get it all done without my expert help (and the family would surely be at risk of hunger). To this day the arrival of cooler weather beckons me to pull out my little smoker and indulge in the good memories.

That was long ago and a different time, but I knew I was loved and cherished by her. It's powerful stuff. Embracing sobriety is ultimately a personal thing, but oh the difference it makes in our emotional availability to the little ones. So a big pat on the back and hugs to everyone. Take a moment to feel good about yourselves today......then go build a fort!

A little more coffee then gym time for me. Wishing each of you the best day.