View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
huntingtontx

huntingtontx/My Story

Over 2 Years now.

This was written at one year, and as I have traveled on my journey it has just gotten better and better. Life is so much better sober.

My Journey

One year ago today I put down the bottle. I have spent this year trying to heal my body and my mind. Right before I quit drinking I was in a wreck and totaled my car broke my back, but I missed the deer. I have not worked since. I was on my way to work in the wee hours of the morning when this happened.
I was in a full body brace for almost a year. My muscles got weak and the only way I thought I could cope was to drink. One night after drinking far too much, I thought I could go to the bathroom without putting my brace on and fell, wet on myself and had a huge burse on my arm in the morning. .
That morning I made up my mind to stop drinking. I don’t think you can quit till you make up your mind. I really believe that is the first step. I just quit. I was really lucky that the with drawl was not bad. I have heard lots of stories since and would never recommend that to anyone. I came here around one week sober. My mind was not clear and I was not sure how long I had been without a drink so I posted, day four. Later I looked at my calendar and realized it was day seven. Time had no meaning in the early days.
Day 12 I went to the pound and adopted a puppy. I needed company. My husband is an alcoholic and without me being drunk we have little in common. The puppy was such a blessing.
I guess I had an easier time then most as I did not have to go to work or deal with anyone outside my husband. I was not even able to drive yet. Whenever I wanted to drink I came to SR and posted or read or went in the chat room. The support was amazing.
A few months ago I ago I got out of the brace, but my muscles were weak, so I started therapy and then went to a chiropractor. It was hard work but I now am able to do almost everything I was able to do before I broke my back. I took no pain meds after the first week as I was afraid of addiction. I don’t need any now. I work out every day in my pool and am feeling great now.
The mind and emotions were harder. Most of the time I am fine now, but sometime things come to the surface that still need to be dealt with. I think we put that on hold when we are drinking. Now, I deal with things as they come up and I am learning I like me.
My advice to others would be to be nice to you. Treat you as you would your child. Be gentle and let thing go. I am enjoying getting to know myself. I don’t think I ever would have really known the real me if I had not quit drinking.
Is it hard? Sometimes it is. Is it worth it? YES!

Last edited by Opivotal; 09-24-2015 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Title