View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  
SwimKim12

Amp and Inc, congratulations on five months!! So glad you're feeling better, Amp And I second OMD's comment about everyone feeling pretty good.

I just woke up from a 2.5 hour nap. In the past of would have felt bad about sleeping that long after a slept a good 8+ hours last night, but I'm realizing that I may have a skewed perception of what's "normal." Like, you got the recommended about of hours of sleep last night, but you took a really long nap? What's wrong with you? I'm realizing I tend to beat myself up over stuff like this and that has really eaten away at my self-esteem. Instead, my thought process today was: I feel tired, I don't have much to do, and I worked out really hard yesterday so my body may need extra recovery time. So I will take a nap! And now I'm awake and it's a-okay.

All this introspective comes from putting together my "crisis prevention book" as recommended by one of the publications at www.samsha.gov. As I've realized from my slips, I drink when I am in crisis, and I need to try to figure out how to help myself before I get to that point. It has you write out things to do on a daily basis to stay healthy, and triggers, early warning signs and ways to help yourself cope. It was nice to write all of that down in a methodical way. It really shed some light on expectations I have for myself that are perhaps unachievable and had lead to my past slips. It recommends reading through the plan every morning which I'll start tomorrow. I also plan to add pictures and images because I respond well to that. So it will be sort of like a sobriety scrapbook. Ha ha!

Time to head to the air conditioned gym and then do my grocery shopping for the week. Thanks to all for being here! Keep it up!