View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

All sounds very familiar. I'm willing to bet most in this class feels the same way. Probably everybody to be honest.

Trust me though. Those feelings go away. You may already somewhat believe me. But they really do. And not months and months later.

It all depends, I think at least, on how fast you come to peace with a sober life. The more benefits you realize, the healthier you feel, the happier you become. It's important to recognize the positives. Take a couple minutes every night to inventory the positives that come from the day being sober. It really helps train the brain to identify those positives during the day. We become so absorbed in negative feelings. It's really nice to say "man, I'm so glad I'm not drinking right now." The more you do it, the quicker you see all the benefits. They not only increase in volume, but in size as well. Before long, you're super thankful for the decision you made, the commitment, and yeah...the suffering.

I'm so thankful, I come to tears sometimes. I can't believe I waiting so long. The madness is finally over. I am free!

And it's funny when we say we wish away the time so we can count +1 day sober. Just the other day we were chatting in April about all the time we wished away when we were drunks. We would be at a teacher conference and wish it away so we could drink. Wish away work so we can drink. Wished loved ones would go to bed so we could drink. Soooo much time was wished away just so we could drink as much as we wanted to. All so that we could wish away the ensuing hangover.

The good news is, the minutes, hours, days, and maybe weeks that your wishing away now will be the end of it ALL! At least the time being wished away now is for GOOD REASON and will have LIFE LONG benefits.

Man...sometimes I sound preachy. I so don't want to come off that way. It's just that I've been through it and won. The feeling is awesome. I honestly want everybody to feel it.