View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I think you know what the answer is to this, with the way things stand at present. While he's not willing to seek help the chances are that things will get a lot worse before they improve.

I would suggest approaching al-anon or similar yourself, to get the support (practical advice as well as emotional support) that will help get you through this bleak time. On the website it says 'alcohol addiction' and alcoholic but the support principle is the same, and I am sure they will help. The thing is, sacraficing yourself won't make him any more likely to recover. He has to be ready and willing to do it himself. It's like riding a bike - each of us has to find the balance of living sober for ourselves. No matter how much someone loves us they can't find our balance for us. And if we don't want to balance, then it won't happen.

Please, don't waste time and energy going over and over about your reaction, Maybe it wasn't what he most wanted to hear. But your reaction is just what it is. Perhaps he could have found a better way of telling you. Sitting you down and broaching the subject more sensitively for a start off if he wanted you to react in a grateful (for telling you) and loving way. You are not his carer. Only HE can do that. Please don't get hi-jacked by his addiction. Seek out that support.

B x