View Single Post
Old 09-16-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 490 (permalink)  
PeanutButterCup

Guess what? Today is my 2 year sobriety birthday! I'm 2! I NEVER thought I'd say that! I remember going to meetings and seeing people with month and thinking they were superheroes .. it just felt so so so ginormous.

I work 11 hours today, so I won't be able to make my meeting. And tomorrow I work through it, too. But, Friday I'll be celebrating with my peeps! Yay! I've gotten several cards already from my sponsees and friends. I feel loved.

We had our family portrait taken about a week ago, which is my chosen way of celebrating each year. It's meaningful to me for a few reasons:
* I stopped being so self-centered and isolated and can be with them again now, the way I am supposed to be.
* They stuck with me through many times when they had every right to give up on me.
* It's an ongoing gift. I wanted to avoid anything that would be more "final", as I know I have NOT been cured. I've not arrived. I'm not done. I wanted to choose a reward that I'd want AGAIN year after year. One of the guys in my meeting (who has 32 years of sobriety! Wow!) Always says, "I have alcoho-ISM, not alcohol-WASM". What a catchy was to remember that this is forever!

And, I got to help a brand newbie last night at my job, too. She was joining my work meetings (not AA), and in talking, I learned that she was also on day 2 of sobriety. I told her about me and gave her my number. We bonded. I invited her to AA, too, so maybe I'll see her Friday. It felt good to be used by God to encourage another going through what we've gone through. I still believe more than ever that I can do much more good in the world by my weakness than I ever could by my strength, as long as I'm willing to admit those weaknesses.

I get to participate more in our recovery church services this fall, too, which I'm excited about. This month I'm doing music one week, next month I'm preaching one week, and the next two months I'm doing music again.

It feel so good to be on this side of the coin! I want to stay here, so today I will not take a drink.