View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Gilmer

Hmm--one other thing I forgot to mention, but I feel compelled to. (I actually forgot about it till now). I cooked shrimp scampi last night, and the sauce contains, butter, lemon, garlic, and white wine. I am not triggered by cooking with or eating wine in food.

But usually my husband buys the bottle, opens it, and even measures it out for me--then he dumps it. This time I bought the bottle, and poured it into the measuring cup. I saved the rest till dinner was actually served: then I put out my good wine glasses and served it to three of the ladies (one of them finished off the bottle).

I felt indifferent to the wine for myself, and felt genuine joy at being able to offer something that brought the ladies joy. No conscience pangs.

But for some reason I felt the need to check in about it with you guys!

I don't plan to do this often--I had to do a non-meat dish for a vegetarian in the group, so I thought shrimp scampi would be a nice solution.

It is only rarely that I use wine for cooking--but I will go back to the safe method of letting my husband handle it for me. It's just that he wasn't around this time.