View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Gilmer

I hope you have a wonderful time on your weekend away, Toots.

I had a weekend away this weekend--the church ladies' retreat, as I mentioned--and it turned out excellent! I think it far exceeded everyone's expectations, and I know it exceeded mine!

I had planned for it and prayed for it--but at the same time, I was really dreading it. I have never really enjoyed being a community group leader; I would have stepped down long ago if it weren't for the fact that it is one of the most important things in my husband's life. He is very good at connecting with people and speaking into their lives in an intelligent way--me, not so much. I'm actually pretty cold.

I dread when the doorbell rings on Community Group nights! I am very awkward at preliminary chit-chat. My relationship with the ladies had never been very deep.

But once I finally propelled my butt out of the door, I shopped for excellent food for morning, noon, and night. I gave careful thought to which were the best carbonated beverages to buy! My daughter had cleaned the place earlier in the week, so it was inviting.

As each lady came in, she was so excited to be there! It felt like a B & B, and like they were on vacation! My itinerary turned out very good: there was structure to give them a point for being there, but there was also plenty of time to talk and bond. We all got along very well (at first one lady got on my nerves: she was "helping" me cook and was a total backseat driver--and I was messing up, and she was right on top of me witnessing it. But after dinner I got over it and all was well).

Even the four babies were exceptionally happy and good, and smiled a lot and played with one another.

My daughter selected an excellent book excerpt about suffering being the crucible of love. The only big bomb was my guitar playing. You'd never know I had practiced for a month! I totally choked! But the ladies didn't care--they enjoyed singing, anyway, and nobody shifted uncomfortably in their seats!

I really gave of my very best as I prepared the cold cut and veggie trays for lunch. I cut and rolled everything up with a great deal of care, and I felt no pressure: I was doing it to give to the ladies with every fiber of my being.

Dinner was made by four of the other guests, and it was great.

They helped me clean up, and they just now all packed and went home.

I'm really beat, so I'll go to bed in a few minutes.

But I was amazed how much I found myself emotionally invested in these ladies I had just a couple days ago been utterly indifferent to.

The lesson really affected me in an area where I really need to be affected. And I learned again that when you lay down your life for people--regardless of how you feel--you begin to actually care. "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."