View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 12:24 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
tootsl1
Living and Loving Life at Last

InControl, I agree with Glee, we sometimes have to learn to cope with the emotions we feel when we are overwhelmed, as yes, I does happen. Recently I went through those feelings when I had a lot of things to draw together during the process of putting my second book out and building a website. I had to do a lot of things I hadn't done before, taking me out of my comfort zone. I wanted someone to rescue me and offer to take it all off my hands and deal. Of course, no one did, though I did get lots of support, advice and offers of help. What worked was just taking everything one bite at a time. Instead of looking at the thing as a whole, I dealt with everything one part at a time. It turned the mountain into a series of claimable hills that, once achieved gave em an immense feeling of satisfaction.

I also believe that managing recovery takes an holistic approach. Alcoholism ( or drug abuse ) affects every aspect of us mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually, therefore full recovery dictates we look at all these aspects of our lives and 'put ourselves back together' . I found meditation an important part of my early recovery, spending a small part of each day focusing on my goals, my emotions, my body, helped me to maintain the strength I needed to continue moving forward.
SR is not just about advice in how to stop and maintain recovery, it can also be about accessing help and advice from so many different people who can offer practical advice to keep those mountains down to hillocks.

One thing I have learned time and again here, is that I am no longer alone with my demons as I figure my way through the 'grown up ' world, I have all you guys to ask for help.