View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
gleefan

Casey - I think goals and milestones are important! I'm glad you're feeling centered as you continue to work toward your goal.

Really insightful posts Amp, Incontrol and Saskia.

Amp - I can relate to the challenge of keeping my expectations and acceptance aligned with each other. I've found that when I have heightened expectations it's almost always a recipe for trouble - simply because it means that I'm not practicing acceptance, feeling gratitude for the moment I'm actually in.

Incontrol - I like your parallel between recovery puberty. For me, recovery is the first time I realized I didn't have all the answers, and that I needed to mature and grow up! I've referred to myself as solidly 19 in my maturity (a far cry from my actual age!!) Oh, and welcome to the thread. Happy to have you here!

Saskia - You bring up a good point about the important milestone of dealing with a crappy situation or disappointment without picking up.

I'm fascinated by your discussion about feeling like a moral failure when you kept picking up in active addiction. I've been hard on myself too. When I learned to start looking at myself - and my failures and successes - rationally, I lightened up a lot on myself.

We show others how to treat us. There's no no coincidence that when I feel good about myself, I find I feel good about the way the people in my life treat me. I can deflect the hurtful stuff and let it roll away.