Thread: Dating...
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Florence

That's the beauty of dating -- you get to see what's out there and reject everything you don't like.

I was very conscious (and still am) of my attraction to not-very-nice men. I am seeing someone exclusively now and am smitten with him through and through, and he has impeccable character, but he's never someone I would have given a glance to prior to my recovery days. He's short, bald, and underemployed. But he's also exceedingly patient, great with kids, involved in the community, smart, well-read, handy, musically-inclined and such a kind person. He's supportive of me and all my wacky interests, and we make a great team. He expressed interest in dating me and I kept him at arms length for a year while I figured out if he was even someone I liked. I saw other people at that time, but they weren't good for me. A tall, lanky, punk rocker with tattoos, a drinking problem, and a bad attitude was generally my speed historically, so this guy was something totally new to me, and more my speed today.

I think if you are going through the world 100% WTBH, doing 100% WTBH things, communicating WTBH's needs, and really honoring what you want from a partner, it will be clear when other folks just don't measure up.