View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 06:45 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
gleefan

Great post Toots. I agree that life becomes more clear in sobriety. As I gain more and more sober time -- and at 18 months I'm still a newbie -- there's light shining on places I never even suspected were dark.

Amp - I agree with Saskia. These days I see an ease in the from the tension in your early posts.

Gnik - Congratulations on 3/4 of a year sober. That's a wonderful accomplishment.

Milestones are important to me because they show me how far I've come, but like Amp and Toots indicated, simple abstinence wasn't enough -- for me. There is a saying that the same person will drink again. I had to change how I was living my life. Gratitude and acceptance replace living in a constant state of advancement and achievement. Realistic expectations replace grandiosity. Vulnerability replaces thinking I know it all. Humility replaces self will. Patience replaces immediate gratification. Now when I'm struggling, I have principles to guide me, rather than booze to smother it. As a result life is so much richer - and easier - and worth living.

If you're struggling like I did, I encourage you to take a long look at how you're living to figure out what's messing with your serenity.