View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  
tootsl1
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hi guys, good to see yo posting more JG, we've missed you here. I know you will miss your boy, but he is beginning to make his own independent way in the big wide world, and you have equipped him well to do do it. Be proud you raised a lad who is able to reach out and experience everything.

North that sounds sublime, it really does.

WeHav, I am glad your new MIL had absorbed you into the family, I too am lucky with mine, she is wonderful. I know it is harder for your MIL to accept that her daughter has chosen to love a same sex partner, but all MILs have the same struggle as to whether a partner chosen by their child is good enough!

We had a lovely, if exhausting day yesterday in Cinque Terre ( go on Marcher, google it!) visiting these small villages perched higgledy piggledy atop cliff edges and sea level cliff sides. Squeezed tightly together and built tall with tiny lanes, the residents lived a hand to mouth existence on the wines they grow in terraced vineyards up almost vertical hillsides ( they use a kind of adapted Stanna Stairlift to haul the grapes up ) and from the sea. About 15 years ago they achieved UNESCO heritage status and became tourist spots, now many of them make a killing from restaurants and tat! I wonder how this has changed them, we didn't get the chance to speak to any of the locals. They do still make the wines though. We had a wine tasting at the end of the day and I was reliably informed that the Cinque Terre wine was salty from the sea ail perpetually coating the vines and grapes. I didn't miss the wine, but I did feel a little left out of the shared experience.
A day recovering at the beach today before another early start tomorrow for a day spent exploring Florence.