Thread: Seven years
View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Thanks, guys, for all the good wishes and congrats.

My first husband called me this afternoon to wish me a happy anniversary, and I just picked up the mail and he sent me a lovely card, too, as he does every year.

I remember that I waited till I had my 90 days to tell him--I wanted to make sure it "took" before I told him. He'd thought I sometimes sounded "off" on the phone, and I'm not sure if he ever noticed my drinking when I was out there to see the kids (I always kept a half pint "stashed" when I visited), but he was very happy for my recovery. He's been a great support for me these past several years, and he reminded me today that I was a great support for him at various times over the years--even after we were divorced.

I've got a lot of gratitude in my heart today, and I want to thank all of you for being such great inspirations and support for me since I've been around the forum.

I posted a lot on the "alcoholics" side of the forum when I first came here, but over time I felt I "belonged" a little more on this side. I have AA for my drinking issue, but Al-Anon was my first lifeline to sanity. I think my experience in Al-Anon made it possible for me to walk through the doors of AA much sooner in my alcoholism than would have been possible or likely if I had not had the experience, strength, and hope I found there.

We are a STRONG bunch, we current or former loved ones of alcoholics. Sometimes it just takes us a while to see what we can accomplish with that strength, when it is wisely used.