View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
Incontrol15

Nice calm Sunday. So far anyway, gotta work my 2nd job tonight. Nice day. My first day off from working my life insurance gig.

I've been giving serious thought to dumping the insurance gig and pick up a real job. I have a ton of retail mgt experience. I was making good coin before as a district manager for the #1 home goods store in the U.S.

I was demoted to store level and later fired. All because I was lazy and was short cutting and cheating to make numbers look good. This was at a time in my life when I was extremely depressed from the loss of my father, overcoming a pain killer addiction, and divorce.

At the time, I thought this is my chance to do what I love to do. To do something that doesn't require working 80hrs a week for the same pay as 50hrs.

My problem is, I do love what I do now, but the money just isn't working. It's tough being on 100% commission. I don't have the funds to ride through the rough weeks or the chargebacks that happen when people drop their policies. It's all very very stressful.

My insurance gig requires that I buy leads. I'm responsible for sending junk mail and tele marketing calls in my area. I'm spending $1200 a week on that. Some weeks I double my money, some I break even, and some I lose. As I get better at what I do, the numbers will improve. I've always dug in and pretty much mastered everything I do. And I know I'll master sales. But it takes time. The stress is more than I can handle at times which is easily picked up by potential clients.

I've been thinking how much happier I would be if I had a retail mgt job again. Something I can do easily. Something where I would have a constant flow of money coming in. I wouldn't be stressing about making money or borrowing money from family so I can finance my weekly lead order.

It's tough because the future is a lot brighter with the insurance gig, but a retail mgt job would put me in a better place today.

I've increased my lead order and a final push to see if this will work or not. Most of the business I wrote last week went to one insurance company (I broker for 15 companies). Had a great week. Sold a lot. But....that one insurance company has fallen behind. I'm not getting paid quick enough to buy the qty of leads I need. Just another stress I have to deal with.

For now, it's all in on the insurance gig. If the next 4 weeks don't produce good profit off my investment, I'll be shopping for a job again.

As stressful as it all is at times....I know it will pass. Some time in the near future I am going to be making money. I'll be able to fix my car, pay my bills, and fun stuff like that!