View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 10:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fly N Buy
Trudgin

Last night my wife and I were talking and something stirred a very old memory. When I was about 12 I was hit by a route truck on my bike. My fault - not looking where I was going. Ambulance, hospital. Resulted in a foot injury which healed over time.

Over the many years I have repeated the story on occasion to others. One of those childhood things long put on the memory shelf. Last night I relieved each moment. I realized, perhaps for the first time that but for a split second I would have been directly in front of the truck and not hit by a glancing blow from the side. Death or a much more serious injury was probable.

When I think of these things, and many other events - as we've all had my thoughts always seem to go back to the hymn Amazing Grace. The simple line in the song seems to sum it up colorfully for me - "Through many dangers, toils and snares.......I have already come!"

Yes, dangers - toils and snares. The scary, the weary / heavy stuff and the traps of life.

When I look in the mirror tonight, I will think of this thread and my sober friend who I admire -

Thanks Sharon for filling me up this afternoon