View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by HeartsAfire View Post
Thanks so much for your support, everyone. We got good news from the insurance company today in that they will pay for 10K of the repairs. It's a heck of a lot better than we thought yesterday so I'll take it! Hopefully the plumbers will start on Tues.

To answer the ? if the previous owners knew & didn't disclose, we're not sure & don't know how to prove it if they did. The owner is now in an assisted living facility w/alzheimers. We're not interested in putting her family thru any more than they're already going thru. It's just not how we conduct ourselves. This is still our dream home. We'll do what it takes to take care of it.

Hugs & love to all. Happy Sober Weekend!!
I agree with the others. You are very kind soul.

And I completely understand; I would not want to cause added grief either.

I have quite a few friends in the real estate sales industry; you wouldn't believe what some owners try to, and do, hide. Many states have strict disclosure laws and provide for restitution to purchasers from sellers for undisclosed deficiencies.

Some friends went through a nightmarish experience when they unknowingly purchased a home with a rodent infestation. There was no doubt that the sellers knew as there was evidence of years of stop-gap modification to rid the home of the infestation. The state law protected the rodent and prohibited use of the chemical which would eradicate them. The home eventually became uninhabitable; the previous owner was in an assisted living/nursing home with all his assests from the sale of the home in a protected trust for his care. My friends lost absolutely everything including the sizeable down payment they made when purchasing the home. My friends still haven't dug themselves out of the hole.

I am really glad that your insurance will cover so much of the cost of the damage.