View Single Post
Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I can totally empathize with you and understand why you would feel guilty. Im currently dealing with my own demons right now and know how guilt can tear you apart.

Now that you have been sober for awhile, do you think you could go back to the bar and offer to pay for the wine you didn't pay for in the past?

Maybe you don't have to be completely honest about it, maybe stop in and say, "I am so sorry I forgot to pay for something the other day and I want to make sure to pay you."
Thank you new hope. I have done that, stopping by the next day and saying that I think I forgot to pay for something, but they always say "oh no, don't worry, you paid" and when I say "uh, but I think I may have had one more glass" they say "ah, whatever, don't worry, I'm sure you paid"

I think they do this because I have, always been decisively honest. I often get a half pack of cigarettes when I visit. In the end I say that I need to pay for the pack and whatever wine and they have almost always forgotten and hand over a new pack of cigarettes and I say (always) "no, I have already received the cigarettes, I just need to pay" I also often offer to pay for drinks of my friends, I double check that I have paid appropriately, etc. These have just been relatively recent lies that have only happened a time or two. I am not sure what to do. I KNOW I lied. There is no black out or forgetting or mistake on my part or their part. I legitimately LIED. I feel horrendous. A glass of wine is just €3, we are talking a total of €9, €12, €15 MAX, but even if it were .01 I would still feel the same. I LIED. I lied for no other reason than I was embarrassed to admit how much I drank.