View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
LifeRecovery

Originally Posted by lizatola View Post
As to what I'm doing for myself. I told him that my friends and my kid come first.....and that's a fact! I have often turned down dates with him because I already had plans with a friend. My recovery and meetings come before dates, as well. I turned down Friday night dates often because I need to be at my meetings and he understands and is aware of why I go to meetings and what I get out of them.

I just got a pedicure and met a friend there for a while and tonight I have a scheduled call with my sponsor. I talk daily to at least 2-3 good Al Anon friends who help me stay grounded.

I am working on my resume and still part time homeschooling my son. I go to church and, honestly, I stay so dang busy that I wonder how I ever find time to date now that I think about it. Sometimes I will drop my son off at a friends house, go to dinner with new guy and hang out at his place for a movie, and then go pick up my son and spend quality time with him, too.

Somehow I'm keeping it all balanced! Reading all of that, I have to admit that I'm amazed. I even did a Vegas girls trip last month and I regularly stay in touch with my tennis mom friends, too. Went to dinner with a tennis mom last week after work, as well.

I'm also reworking my steps in Al Anon; going back to step 1 with my sponsor and working through Paths to Recovery. Boyfriend believes that I should start writing more and is encouraging me to start writing a book (go figure) on my experiences with alcoholism and recovery. I recently just started a blog to get my feet wet at trying my hand at writing again.

Soooo, yep, I am always taking care of me. I just like to pick apart my relationship with a fine tooth comb...you know.....just for kicks, lol.
Liz-

I am glad someone commented above about asking about you and keeping it on you.

I am pretty exhausted reading all that you are "doing" right now in addition to a new relationship which is bringing up old stuff.

Sometimes to try and not "look" or "feel" I overdo stuff. I am under the false premise that if I am doing I won't have time to listen to the stuff going on (and I have an excuse if some emotion comes up).

I think my question is are you "doing" too much and not letting yourself be? Not letting yourself rest in all the deep change that has happened for you over the last number of months? For me this is a sign of my behavior with codependency, and keeps me from that deep relationship with self.