View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dwtbd
quat

I don't count days either, I suppose I use my sign up date on SR as a near enough approximation. I don't recall my last morning bourbon, or my last full on drunk, but I vividly remember my last drink. I poured it out unfinished , I was doing my own tapering , and according to my formula that wasn't 'the' last one, but I had decided to become a nondrinker and the physical symptoms at that point were not overwhelming, something clicked at that moment and out it went . I think what really clicked was feeling the idea , not only on an intellectual level but with the requisite emotional connection to the idea that wanting and doing were separable. That quitting was possible even if 'part' of me still wanted to drink , the AV , the waning of the active addiction itself.
I didn't count days , but I did/do mark the passage of time. I got my tattoo around my first year anniversary , because I was interested in getting one and one that 'meant' something. I know I have a one yearish old tattoo and have been a stone cold sober nondrinker for two years , and one day I'm sure I will answer the question 'so how long has been?' with the same mental strain it takes to answer the same question asked about my marriage, "hmm lemme think our oldest is..." I won't forget( or certainly better not) that I'm married or sober, but since I am, wondering about how long, just kinda makes me feel older , so I know I just don't really pay attention.
I owe/(own) my sobriety 100% to myself, but feel I huge debt of gratitude to SR for pointing me in the right direction and the perspective I 've gained from Mr Trimpey's books.
Decide to be a nondrinker and believe you can do it, because you can, you'll be amazed at how with the passage of time you can 'feel' the' belief', Onward!