View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
GnikNus

Originally Posted by amp123 View Post
I'm a musician too. String instruments and vocals. I know what you mean about the grey in the musical world. Since I got sober I've had to break up with my band and recently announced my retirement from the live music scene. It's something I can't be around, at least for now. Sobriety is my number one priority which makes music number 2. It made me sad to sell some of my guitars (gave up the rehearsal rooms so didn't have space) but recently I've also felt liberated by having less responsibility. Every cloud has a silver lining, you know? Congrats on 22 days! The emotional rollercoaster thing is normal. Started slowing down for me around 2 and a half months though still pops up from time to time... Have a great day, all!
I'm making a return to performing after a long break (one that preceded sobriety). After 8 months sober and two sober gigs (that included sober rehearsals) I feel like it's time. I wouldn't have felt that way early on, but I've gotten my "sober legs" as I've heard it referred to on this site. I actually enjoy adding sobriety to this part of my life. I've found that I don't need it to perform, which was a big breakthrough. Everything is more consistent sober and I have more control. Preparation includes more foresight and focus sober. More control. And it's more relaxed- something that seems paradoxical, but feels perfectly natural. Don't let your talents go fallow over drinking. By all means take a break and learn how to be around that world sober- but it would be ashamed to let alcohol force us away from something we love.