View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
George88

Hey guys, coming into my 4th sober day, seems a small step but was a mountain to get to this point. I had a work event over the weekend which unhappily coincided with my decision to lead a sober life. It was overnight (which of course meant free booze) and also included a final gift of a 6 pack to each and all. I'm happy to say that I somehow managed to decline both the evening drinks and the 'gifts' politely and firmly.

The first time I got off the booze I was doing well and about to hit the 1 month mark when I was pressured by my boss to have 'just one' shot at a work function just for form's sake. This I eventually did and, predictably, the evening ended with me getting completely hammered at home and very nearly missing a flight.

As a kid I was always more of a follower than a leader. It was probably what got me into drink and drugs in the first place! This time around I thought I'd try and go smart, and work my way around people who manipulate us followers into doing what they want (e.g. drink with them). I found that the best book for this was 'When I Say No I Feel Guilty'. It's a pretty old school book but I found it really useful. It changed the way I looked at social functions and even relationships with friends and family. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who, like me, finds it hard to say no.

Stay strong!

George