View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2ndhandrose
under new management

Hi BeanSkillet, I just posted this on another thread relating to relapse;

"I relapsed for 22 years after 6 years of sobriety. Until just recently, I had believed that the relapse came out of nowhere, just snuck up out of left field.

It was reading here at SR that made me think more in-depth about the circumstances that were happening at the time.

a) I had recently moved to a new city, leaving all of my support network behind, and did not make an effort to find new support.
b) I had split up with my ex-husband.
c) I worked in a bar (this was manageable in my former city, not so much here)
d) I had not made any friends outside of work, at said bar, and it was a heavy drinking crowd.
e) So, yes, I was lonely.
f) I allowed the thought "if I drank I would be able to hang out with this crowd and really be accepted" to float around in my head without ever once countering with the thought "drinking is not an option".
g) I believed that my sobriety was all wrapped up tight, I had it in the bag. Despite knowing that my casual over confidence about it put me in a vulnerable place, well, maybe that would put "other" people in a vulnerable place, but not me, 'cause, you know, I got this.
h) Because of my over confidence I didn't value my sobriety, I didn't keep it front and centre, I didn't think I needed to take care of it.

I could keep adding to this list but it is very clear to me now that my relapse didn't "just happen".

I allowed it, encouraged it, did nothing to take a stand and prevent it.

Drinking is not an option and never will be is my new catch phrase!"

Relapses happen, BeanSkillet, but they do not have to be inevitable. It is early days for you (5 days, woot woot!!! ) Educating yourself and being proactive to prevent one from happening is a great plan.

a) Take drinking off the table as an option, ever, no matter what.
b) Care for your sobriety as you would a precious jewel, always know where it is.
c) Don't become complacent with your sobriety, over confidence allows one to become careless.

These are a few things that are front and center for me this time around.

Last edited by 2ndhandrose; 08-09-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: spelling police