View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BeanSkillet

5 days / relapse question

Good morning! (well, morning for me anyway)

Getting my start on day 5 of total abstinence from alcohol. Feeling pretty good. Had some weird emotional dreams last night. It's really interesting how these emotions are bubbling up after years of numbing them with alcohol and pot daily.

I've really enjoyed incorporating SR into my recovery plan. And unlike the last time I tried to quit in 2013, I'm actually participating in sharing this time, which I hope will make a difference.

I've been trying to learn as much as I can about alcohol/drug addiction this last week. I've been encouraged by all the success stories, but one thing that scares me to death is reading stories of people who had many months and sometimes years of sobriety before a relapse seemingly comes out of nowhere (I'm sure it's not that simple, right?) I guess my question is: how does this happen?

I'd really be interested in hearing from people who had a significant stretch of sobriety before a relapse. What factors, conditions, mindset, etc. led up to it. Of course, I realize some people are successful at putting the bottle down for good, but some of these relapse stats are scary.

I wonder if I should even be thinking about this as I'm only on DAY 5, lol. I guess this is more of a curiosity at this point. Thoughts?