View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bottleblonde

AH about to finish rehab-need guidance!

I've been coming in here for years, not much in the past couple of years (feel free to look up past posts!)

To recap, from the outside we were the perfect suburban family of 4, because I kept a big secret from the outside world. My husband of 22yrs. became addicted to Lortab after back surgery 13 years ago. For a while I had no idea of his problem, until he came to me saying he was in trouble at work and opened up about his addiction. He had been stealing from his job to support the habit and ended up arrested. That was adjudicated and he served no time. Tried outpatient program but he wasn't ready and began using again (not sure he ever really stopped.) Over the past 13 years he has been on suboxone (don't agree with AT ALL), was arrested again for stealing from another job (again served no time), and went from just soboxone to adderol, then cocaine, then our 15 yr old and 19 yr old found syringes and crystal meth in the bathroom. That was IT!

Thank goodness in our state you can file a writ for committment for addiction, as in our situation. On July 2, the cops took him to the state hospital 3 hours away and he has been there for over a month. After several days he was thanking me, has been following the program, and now he is in such a better place! It's so nice to hear him be "normal." The best part is that he can't leave until they say he can, so he will finish.

His release date is August 26, and I can't wait to go get him! There was never any violence in our family, so of course he can come home. There is only 1 family visit allowed, and that was 2 weeks ago. We talk every day and he says he is ready to be out and can handle it, but I can't help but be terrified of him getting back into old habits!

I have seen a therapist, not so much in the past several months, and that has helped me SO MUCH. I have learned to detach but still love - that was the HARDEST part. I no longer panic, worry myself sick, snoop, etc., and I thought that would never happen.

What is my role here in recovery besides being there for him? What am *I* supposed to do different? What things should I not do and say? The program doesn't really involve the family like others places as it is state-run.

Any input is much appreciated!