View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
pattyj

I just have to get this out

My mom recently fell over and we thought it was a stroke. She went to the doctor's and they did some blood work. The blood work came back the she has dangerously low sodium levels. She was hospitalized a few years ago for a couple of weeks and almost died due to low sodium levels and an E. coli infection. We all know that very low sodium in a life long alcoholic can be caused by liver cirrhosis. If she did have that she would never admit it to anyone but she does have other symptoms of it besides the low sodium. After I read about this I completely fell apart. It definitely felt good to cry because yelling at her isn't going to do any good. I am thankful for my close friends, therapy, al-anon and SR but this is almost getting too real to handle. We have known that she has had issues with drinking for years, I don't even remember her without a problem. I have read many times that cirrhosis is what happens to those who drink their whole lives. But now it is actually happening. My brother sent my mom a link about low sodium and your liver and I would bet anything that she either doesn't read or that she doesn't do anything about it. Which I understand is from the effects of the disease of alcoholism. There is nothing I can do. I don't know if I want to be around her during this time because she is just killing herself or if I should spend time with someone whose days are numbered. I just don't know. It's so upsetting and frustrating. I can't focus on work or school. It's hard to sleep and I don't have an appetite. It is a family disease and at times can be all consuming. Thank you for listening, it feels good to just talk about it with people who actually get it.