View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Pete55

Pete,

If you do some searches on controlled drinking you'll see that the success rate is about the same as abstinence.

The reason I'm here, as I've stated several times... is JUST THAT.... to control drinking. The past has been ugly, with divorce as a result of drinking. That's bad enough and don't want to see it get to that level. And that's where the control comes in. Today it's fine, but like I mentioned above with other disciplines, that require keeping up and retraining.... I feel that controlled drinking requires some monitoring and control, too, based on my readings.

Right now it's fine, and has been pretty well for some 18 month. I need to keep it that way, and I've picked up ideas here and hope to pick up more.
Well excuse me ,
I find it easier to abstain, than try to control.
You probably don't have the other part of the drinking experience, that change of personality, as soon as alcohol host the brain cells, you would be deluded if one say's it can be "controlled",
Ya what really is wrong with these "you can controll your drinking" types?
it's dangerous, very dangerous to encourage a suffering drinker, "learn to control" because there is no medical factual proof that alcohol as a chemical does not do things that deludes one, they then get in a car, and ...., and.
Very dangerous what you people say, and as once a proffesional driver for a living, I know what I seen due to alcohol related consequences.
You are probably not a real alcoholic, but one who has had a bit too many and got drunk.

We don't get drunk, we get plastered.

There is no way one who truly identifies as a real alkie can ever gain control.
The experience about my own drinking when I drank alcohol and those I have identified with or identify with me, say there is no control, period.
All these books and stuff may be ok for some, but my bet is not a day goes by where there is that tiny tiny voice inside you, daring and daring, saying" just one more, just one teeeeny weeny little more"
Fancy having to put up with that for the rest of ya life, ( plural, don't mean it personally).

If that's what I gotta do for the rest of my life to "control" my drinking, then abstinence is not a choice, it's a, "no longer on the radar", my better and safer bet.

If it's not on the radar, that means I /wecan go anywhere where there is alcohol and simply drink water.
We do it all the time when now invited back with family etc, cos we "know"alcohol in it's atomic structure does not blend in well with the cells of the human body, it's methane, stuff cars run on, and one expects to control the consequences by drinking it ?