View Single Post
Old 07-30-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  
KaleGrrl

Originally Posted by rah555 View Post
End of day 5. Finally starting to feel better. I've been feeling very low and emotional, scared too. I made an appt with a counselor for next week but am feeling nervous about it. I am thinking of canceling the appt. I've been thinking of things I can do that aren't alcohol centered...thinking of joining the Y, thinking of looking for volunteering opportunities; thinking of going to church or taking a class. Sometimes I come up w these good ideas but have a hard time actually stepping out. I'm going through a weird period...sometimes I feel lonely and isolated and then when push comes to shove I revert back to being alone and isolated. I'm not sure what's holding me back. I used to take an anti depressant but stopped. Maybe I need to start taking it again.
Hey, rah, it's really easy to isolate when drinking. Maybe just take the plunge into counseling, maybe the antidepressant will help, too, at least to get you through these early days. And then just try one of your ideas. Baby steps are the way to go early on usually.
Feeling low and emotional are typical in early sobriety--it comes and goes and then gets better with some more time. Your brain and other parts of your body are adjusting most especially now.
5 days is great! Tomorrow you might feel even better. There's always the chance of a better tomorrow when not drinking.