View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
wolvie1

Thank you all

l
Originally Posted by angd1978 View Post
Hi, Wolvie! I am not sure what your laws are like where you are at but I wouldn't give up your dream of teaching. I live in Texas and I am a teacher that had a DWI in 2008. I didn't get convicted until 2009 and in order to be certified by my state I had to pass a Federal background check. Well, long story short... I disclosed the misdemeanor and they certified me. I have always listed it on my applications and I have had many job offers as a teacher. I have secured 2 jobs with two different districts. No one has ever questioned me about it. The key is to be upfront and honest, plus be prepared to discuss your charge in an interview if the topic comes up. Everyone makes mistakes and honestly as someone mentioned, it can make you a stronger teacher to overcome as much as you have. I have a very checkered past, but I find that my students can relate to me better than some other teachers because I don't sugar-coat life. Hope this helps.
Thank you all for your kind words. You've given me hope, and I can't begin explaining how much that helps.
I know some districts and states are more strict about DUI, but will find a way through. Thanks again