Thread: OT: I'm Back
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
OT: I'm Back

The first time I wrote this, the post disappeared into the ether. Let's try this again.

The cast came off today, and my scar has healed nicely. I'm able to type fairly well. However, my range of motion is a work in progress; I can't bend it past 90 degrees, nor can I straighten it out. I'm going to wait a couple of more days before I attempt to drive. For now, I'm just happy I can take a real shower again, which I did just a short while ago.

Those of you who know me know I'm a major guitar player/geek/collector. Two weeks after my surgery, this was delivered to my door:

IMG_0276_zpsgkwqmajm.jpg Photo by zoso1977 | Photobucket

She was built by the fine folks at the Fender Custom Shop in Corona, CA. She's essentially a '57 Stratocaster in Vintage White (and reliced), but with a few modern tweaks (quartersawn maple neck for stability, '69 pickups for higher output, 9.5" to 12" compound radius fretboard for playability). She's currently upstairs with her other friends and won't be played for another 8 weeks. If there's anything being in a cast for 5 weeks teaches you, it's patience and the acceptance of things you can't do anything about. She'll keep until I'm ready to play.

However, that hasn't stopped me from naming her. I usually come up with a funny/twisted name for each guitar, but given the passing of my mother last month, I decided to name the new guitar after her: Jaxx . If Mom knew how many guitars I owned, she'd roll her eyes (and no, there is no Twelve Step program for gear junkies, and if there was, I wouldn't go!). But I hope she'd be pleased that one of my guitars carries her name.

So, SR, I'm back...