View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 438 (permalink)  
Mags1
Magsie

Morning overs

I was just reading and there were tips on anxiety attacks called grounding. Haven't heard it before, it's not medical advice, just wellbeing.
-----------------------
Look around you
Find 5 things you can see, 4 things you can touch, 3 things you can hear, 2 things you can smell and 1 thing you can taste.
This is called grounding and can help when you feel you have lost all control of your surroundings.
--------------------------
I'm going to try this if I'm feeling anxious, it's not replacing any thing from a doctor or professional body but for the here and now,.

When I first stopped my anxiety was through the roof. You can imagine. If I'm honest I was drinking 3-4 bottles of wine a day, maybe a day off when feeling really bad, and I went cold turkey. I didn't realise, naively, how this would affect me and I turned the anxiety into those closest to me. I didn't know it was the stopping of the booze what caused the anxiety even when I found this wonderful site 3 months into my sobriety. Or maybe facing reality without the crutch of alcohol for once in my life was a biggie.

Anxiety attacks us all and like most who call at the pub and drown their sorrows we've had to man up pretty sharpish. It's bound to have repercussions.

What I'm trying to say, not very eloquently is, we're all doing great. Yes, we have problems in our lives. We are sensitive creatures standing alone without a crutch.
But we're building our tool boxes and muscles up every day our baby steps get slightly bigger, though you may not notice them.

I read on SR once a lady who had been sober 25 years, went to a wedding and was handed a drink, thought why not, I'm past that now I can handle this and of course she couldn't. That stayed in my little grey cells as assurance I'm not like others , never to rest on my laurels.

Sorry for the rant, but just yo let you know, you're not on your own with anxiety, most of us have experienced it, so don't feel shy about posting. We understand you, we aren't doctors and will never replace them, but we are friends who understand and sometimes, just some times, it's the best medicine we can have.

Love you all. Have a good Tuesday .