View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
KaleGrrl

Checking in, day 22. Trying to keep up by reading the last several posts. Lots of struggles here. It's difficult in the first month (and I've had many first months), but if we can push through, it does get easier.
In the early days, one thing I'd say to myself is: I will never have a day 1 again (I've had a ton of them), I'm done with day 1's and am so glad tomorrow will be day 2. And so on. I was so done with my infinite number of day 1's through day 10's (it was rare for me to go beyond day 10), and it felt great to say that as an affirmation.
CAGY, I've confronted family members with drinking problems in the past (when they sobered up), and I either tried to reason with them if they were older than me or got stern if they were younger. It didn't seem to help. But I told one of my friend's father that she was getting dangerously drunk every night in college. We were new freshmen; she would become a dare devil when drunk, and once nearly fell over railing of a high place that would've killed her. I told her I was going to call her dad if she kept doing it. I knew her parents well. He was a wonderful dad (mom, too), had her come home for the weekend and spoke with her. That made a big difference and amazingly she stopped (for good--she knew I would tell on her) but our friendship pretty much ended after that. She made other friends and stayed sober. It's a really tough situation. Your cousin has to want it herself, but sometimes what someone says can be a defining moment for another person.