Thread: I heart SMART!
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Weasel1966
A simple guy making his way

elphaba, thanks for asking. It is vital that we explore all the various ways of thinking to find the right one. No one way is more correct and it's what we feel leaving meetings and reading the ideals of a program that ultimately lead us to where we feel most comfortable. For me it's SMART.

Why? Lol.. that's where we started this post isn't it... Mostly because I feel positive and hopeful when I use the SMART methods. They are based on real psychological approaches.

Say, for instance, I used one of the SMART tools called an ABC. It is based on rational emotive behavior therapy. Fancy way to say stop. What am I telling myself at this moment? Is it real or made up by me? What am I really asking of myself. Then think about how the irrational thought can be turned around.

I work with a therapist once a week for some very old issues I want to put to rest. These exercises are something I can take from my SMART meeting to my therapist and have something real to work through. Positive real steps in a larger recovery process.

Yes it takes practice. Hell... Life takes practice. But the difference between SMART and the other group is that working through our learned behaviors and unlearning the ways that lead us to depend on alcohol or drugs is a process that has a happy ending. I can be recovered without a constant state of recovery.

In other words I can walk again and not always see myself as someone beaten down and only ever able to crawl. I have value. I can empower myself. I can choose to say NO to drinking and drugs and I never need to change my mind.

Yes... A little AVRT in there but the benefits are the same.

Do people stay sober with AA? Yes. Many do with SMART as well.

Again we come full circle. Choose what's best for the way you feel. The results you get. An hour drive is worth finding a viable solution. Give both a try. You will know.

Ken