View Single Post
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  
LBrain

Olive, I have random days on myself. Retirement is good if one has the means to actually relax and enjoy it without feeling guilty about having no money to spend yet spending it anyway.
The wife gets very irritable about my not "getting" a job. Every time she comes home from work miserable she yells at me "GET A JOB!"

Well, if I didn't have to focus 100% on supporting YOU through school and all that jazz I would have sold this house and found a job somewhere - maybe?
I read in The Economist today in the obits about Burt Shavitz dying at 80. Unfortunately for my wife, I could very well choose the same path as Burt did years ago. Though I don't have the capital to just quit society and make my little sanctuary, I'd do it in a heartbeat.
And having read the whole story behind the Burt's Bees 'thing' a few years ago, I boycott anything to do with that company, as best I can. When conglomerates own a piece of almost everything, it's tough to not unknowingly spend a few bucks to them.

So now she is finished with her first phase of school. Her part time measly job does not even actually contribute to the bills or sustenance of the Brain household. My pittance of a retirement check is not enough to cover the basic expenses of living as we do. I'm still blackballed in my 'industry'.
My "savings" are depleting steadily as I am using that to continue to buy continuity of the 'quality of life' we sort of enjoyed. She bitches about us being 'poor' all the time. And all I think about right now is purchasing a new songbook and going fishing.
For some reason, the upsetting of the cart that occurred which caused me to stop drinking and reassess my life had a profound effect on me. I am more content now than I have ever been in my life.

I have no desire to drink even when the high anxiety stressors of life are tossed my way. I smile and thank my lucky stars that I am who I am.

I suppose letting go and letting the doorknob has its advantages.